Home Membership Events Cripplegate Ward Contact us
       
 

  The Ward of Cripplegate provides part of the Northern edge of the City and stretches from just below Old Street, down to London Wall at its Southern tip, where it meets the Ward of Bassishaw. To the West is the Ward of Aldersgate and on the Eastern edge Coleman Street.
 
 

The City of London spreads across a square mile of land and is divided into 25 geographic areas, or 'Wards'. Four of these Wards (Aldersgate, Portsoken, Queenhithe and Cripplegate), are described as 'Residential' as they contain the vast majority of all City residents.

The 2003 Ward Boundary Review recommended some significant changes for a number of Wards and these were eventually implemented in 2013

The Cripplegate Ward boundary used to extend a great deal further South, all the way down to Cheapside in fact. The Ward was home to the Livery Halls of 6 Worshipful Companies and now only one remains - The Barber-Surgeons in Monkwell Square. Further information on the history of Cripplegate Ward can be found in the Book "The Ward of Cripplegate in the City of London"

The Ward takes its name from the Roman Gate in its area of London once forming the northern entrance to the Roman fort, today the only remnants of Cripplegate is a small plaque honouring its long and eclectic history. Much like the section of nearby wall in St Alphege Gardens, the original Cripplegate was built around AD 120 and began to decline in the Saxon period. However, during the Medieval period the area had somewhat of a resurgence with a large suburban settlement springing up on the northern side of the gate. This new settlement, along with easy access to the nearby village of Islington, meant that the gate was rebuilt in the 1490's and had somewhat of a renaissance. During the following centuries it was leased as accommodation before being converted into a prison gatehouse!

Along with the majority of the other gates that once lined the ancient city wall, it was finally demolished in the 18th century to improve traffic access.

 

 

       
 

Blue plaque No 6082 in London marks the site of the old Cripplegate. The Cripplegate remains were demolished, along with other gate remains in 1760 as London developed.

 

 


location on map
 
More information on London's gates
(Video opens in a new windows)
   

The London Wall Walk
Walking the route of Roman Londonís Wall

  pdf download Internet link
 

Each Ward is represented by an assembly called the 'Court of Common Council'. This consists of 100 Common Councilmen and 25 Alderman (one for each Ward). The number of Councilmen allocated to each particular Ward is based on the size of the electorate and where Cripplegate used to warrant 12 members of Council it is now reduced to 9. Further information on Cripplegate's Councilmen can be found by clicking here.

 

  The essential guide to London local government https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/who-runs-london/essential-guide-london-local-government